For the first time, we'll be in Madison on Christmas, and Justin will not be celebrating with his family in their traditional ways. And so, we're thinking about starting a new tradition of doing some volunteering on the holiday. Many community centers and churches put on free community events, and offering a hot meal to someone in need sure seemed like a good way to spend this winter day.
I did a quick search and found a few key volunteer opportunities in the Madison area, which I thought I'd share, in case others are looking for similar lists. Please add others, if you know of any!
Saturday, December 24, 2011
- Where: Wil-Mar Center, 953 Jenifer St.
- When: 11:15 AM
- What: Free community meal for Chrismas Eve, prepared by volunteers.
- How: Call 608-257-4576 for more info.
- Where: Wisconsin Capitol cafeteria. Lutheran Campus Center, 5 N. Mills St.
- When: 11 AM
- What: Savory Sunday, with volunteers needed to prepare and serve a fresh, hot Christmas Day meal for the hungry.
- How: Call 608-233-6967 for more info.
- Where: First United Methodist Church, Fellowship Hall, 203 Wisconsin Avenue, Madison, WI
- When: 12 PM to 2 PM (with home delivery 2-5 PM)
- What: Join others from the church and community and share the Christmas spirit at our Christmas Day free community meal. Last year we served more than 300 people in Fellowship Hall and delivered more than 150 meals to those who were unable to attend. This year we hope to see you here too!
- How: If you would like to help volunteer for any of these opportunities please call the church office at 608.256.9061 or submit a volunteer interest form online. (For Home Delivery, call 608-251-4407)