It's a very simple idea--the tray of open-faced sandwiches--but it offers such tastiness and opportunity for creativity that it's worth spending some time with.
In this particular incarnation, we have (across from the top row):
- Hummus with carrot-broccoli stem slaw
- Spread home-made or store-bought hummus on a piece of bread.
Top with slaw (shredded carrots and broccoli stems--or throw in any
shredded veggies you want!--mixed with a little olive oil, apple cider
vinegar, salt, and a tiny bit of sugar)
- Mix chopped tomatoes (fresh are best, but canned and drained
will do in a pinch) with a large quantity of chopped basil. Taste and
season lightly with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Mashed avocado with yellow pepper
- Mash one avocado with a little salt and lime juice, if you have it on hand. Spread it thickly on a piece of bread, and lay something crunchy, like sliced yellow bell peppers, on top.
So delicious and versatile! What ideas would you come up with?