Skillet Enchilada Chilaquiles

One of my summer-time cooking challenges is to use the oven as little as possible, since it heats up the house so much to preheat the oven and have it on for an hour, or however long is needed to bake a dish of this or that.

But because enchiladas are one of our favorite go-to dishes, I decided to try my hand at stove-top enchiladas. I did a bit of googling around, and find an inspirational post or two, like this one at Delectably Yours.

We were low on vegetables and ingredients, so I pulled some corn tortillas, pre-cooked kidney beans, and cooked greens out of the freezer. Then I sauteed up some onions, garlic, a jalapeno, and one big grated carrot. Once those had browned and I had added some cumin and chili powder, I threw in my freezer finds, and voila! Easy enchilada filling.


I warmed the corn tortillas slightly in the microwave, wrapped in a damp towel. I transferred the vegetable filling to a Pyrex dish, and then used the same pan to heat about half the sauce, which I had made by pureeing a can of diced tomatoes and a tablespoon of chipotle in adobo sauce in the food processor. I dipped each tortilla in some of the extra sauce (which I had in another dish to the side of the stove), then wrapped each around a scoop of filling. Once I'd used up my tortillas and my pan was full, I poured the remaining sauce over the top of the enchiladas, put the pan lid on, and let it all steam and cook for about 10 minutes.


These turned out really well--flavorful and comforting. But because corn tortillas are so crumbly, by the time we served our "enchiladas," they were way more like chilaquiles--a mess of tortilla pieces mixed in with sauce, vegetables, and beans. Either way, delicious!

Comments

Post a Comment