What to do with CSA box?

We got a helluva CSA box from Harmony Valley this week.


A box overflowing with:

Green Top Carrots!
Garlic!
Cucumbers!
Patty Pan Squash and Zucchini!
Broccoli!
Amaranth!
Fennel!
Gold Potatoes!
Sweet Spanish Onions!
Green Top Beets!
Sweet Corn!
Eggplant!
Green Bell Pepper!
Thai Basil!
Green Beans!

In addition to all that, I got more (free!) vegetables--collard greens, kale, mustard greens, salad greens, more cucumbers, yellow string beans, a hot pepper, cabbage-- from the student farm stand on campus.*

So what was I to do with all this bounty?

I'll give you a sneak peek of what I did end up doing:

This week, I'll be detailing what I did with a first round of cooking and eating my way through this overflowing goodness. So, be sure to stop back by to learn about processing and freezing greens, making pickled potato salad, Italian eggplant salad, and fresh corn salad.  And let me know if you have any questions!


* If you're in Madison this summer, be sure to check out F. H. King's Harvest Handouts in East Campus Mall every Friday from 1-3, for loads of free, local, organic vegetables, grown by student farmers. Perhaps a blog post on this coming soon....

Comments

  1. Ooh, I'm excited to know what you did with amaranth. I've grown it before, but mostly for it's pretty ornamental features (it has nice, magenta blooms!), but never had it prepared in food.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment