Egg Horn-Muffins

Because Justin is training for a half marathon these days, he has been a good influence on me in athletic ways. After our last run, I turned around sooner than he did, and hurried home to make him some breakfast, so that it would be awaiting him upon his arrival.

Justin is a big fan of egg sandwiches, and of english muffins (the Thomas's brand, to which he's loyal despite all my suggestions of trying the organic brands), and so I whipped up these little sandwiches (which, when he makes them himself, Justin refers to as "Egg Horn Muffins"). Although it's simple and doesn't really require a recipe, I thought I'd throw one up here, at least for inspiration.


Egg Horn Muffins, aka Egg Zeide Muffins

2 English muffins, sliced in half, toasted
2 eggs
1/2 onion, diced
assorted greens
condiments: something creamy (mayonnaise in this case) and something hot (sriracha in this case)

Toast the English muffins. In the mean time, saute the diced onion in a little bit of oil over medium-high heat, until soft and golden.  Then, divide the onion into two separate sections in the pan, and crack an egg over each pile of onions.  Agitate the egg slightly so that the yolk breaks and the egg runs to about 5-6 inches in diameter. Add salt to taste. Cook the egg until browned on one side, and then flip until cooked on both sides. Slide each egg onto one half of each English muffin, and condiment as desired, given your available sauces and seasonal vegetable availability.

Serve with beautiful fruit (peaches and plums and cherries from the Springfield Farmer's Market, and strawberries from Harmony Valley Farm, in this case). Yum!

Comments

  1. I am also a really big fan of eggs with English Muffins, and that was my breakfast of choice (whenever I had the time available) for three years or so. Then, suddenly, I got sort of tired of it for some reason. But I'll post on my blog how I used to make mine so that we can have some synergy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment