Russian Food on Smitten Kitchen

Deb over at Smitten Kitchen just put up a Russian recipe for apple sharlotka and referred to her Russian mother-in-law.


This, of course, made me want to find all her Russian recipes and to read as much about this part of her culinary heritage as possible (because she's such a great cook/blogger and because it's so fun to see others prepare the foods I grew up with!).

So, here, a little gallery of her recipes and stories of Russian foods I know and love, all totally worth a perusal:

Salad Olivier

'Golubtsy,' or Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

'Chorni Chleb,' or Russian Black Bread

'Baklazhanaya Ikra,' or Eggplant Caviar

Salted Mushrooms

And a bonus story about her encounters with Russian cuisine!

---
P.S. Happy Friday the 13th!

Comments

  1. I'm going to have to try her stuffed cabbage technique (with veggie filling), since I completely failed at making some a couple months back. I must have overcooked the cabbage, because it just kept falling apart. Had to turn it into cabbage casserole! (Still tasty, but nowhere near as satisfying as stuffed cabbage.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom has made me all sorts of great veggie fillings: some with mushroom and wild rice, some with black beans and squash, some with crumbled tofu. Let me know what you come up with...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment