I also just read through Saveur's A Brief History of Food Blogs, to get a sense of where Dining and Opining fits into all of this.
Some books I'd like to read include:
- Anything by M. F. K. Fisher, but especially The Art of Eating (and also her biography, An Extravagant Hunger)
- Anything by Ruth Reichl: Tender at the Bone, Comfort Me with Apples, Garlic and Sapphires
- The Man Who Ate Everything, by Jeffrey Steingarten
- And maybe an anthology like this one: Best Food Writing 2010
- ooh, and this one! Secret Ingredients: The New Yorker Book of Food and Drink