Chipotle's “Cultivated Thought”

Oh my! So many things I like all in the same place:

Jonathan Safran Foer. Chipotle. Short stories. Literature.

Chipotle will now be printing small pieces of writing from great writers on its cups and bags, based on an idea proposed by Jonathan Safran Foer.



As he describes in this Vanity Fair piece:

“...I got to know quite a bit about the company, not in the process of doing this, but in the process of Eating Animals,” he continued. “Chipotle was pointed to quite often, as a model of what scaling good practices might look like. The truth is, that’s not really why I did this. I mean, I wouldn’t have done it if it was for another company like a McDonald’s, but what interested me is 800,000 Americans of extremely diverse backgrounds having access to good writing. A lot of those people don’t have access to libraries, or bookstores. Something felt very democratic and good about this.”

There will be stories by Foer himself, by Toni Morrison, Malcolm Gladwell, George Saunders, and many others!

Some are available here for reading. Or go to your local Chipotle and check it out! (even though, when I go to Chipotle, I tend to forego a bag for my burrito and have my own water bottle with me, so I'm not sure I'd encounter the cup or bag if I didn't know to look out for them).

Comments